8 Designer Tips for Caring for your leather
Leather is a beautiful investment and you want it to last a lifetime. Remember leather is a natural product and therefore, requires some care to maintain the natural beauty of the hide. Here are some designer tips for caring for your leather:
- avoid using potentially harmful cleaners, such as oil based soaps, detergents, solvents etc. it will stain and darken leather, instead just wipe with a damp cloth to remove dust and spills.
- avoid placing leather furniture in direct sunlight, you want to monitor the temperature of the room where leather is. If it’s too cold, or too hot, the leather will get dry and crack.
- apply a leather protector for new furniture right away. You want to use a conditioner every 6-12 months.
- avoid animals on furniture as they can scratch the leather. Some leathers, like wax leathers, can be gently buffed using the warmth of your fingers but some leathers can be damaged permanently from your furry friends nails.
- Spot test: if you’re trying a new cleaning method try a hidden area first
- for oil spills, or grease stains wipe with a clean dry cloth and then leave it alone
- If an accident occurs beyond your capabilities call a professional!8.
- Purchase the Guardsman Warranty protection plan!! *do this at time of purchasing furniture*
What is the Guardsman Warranty?
The warranty plan helps protect your new furniture from accidental stains and damage caused by you or someone in your home. It covers rips, cuts, scrapes, burns and liquids of any source. Anything but beaks and claws. The Guardsman plan provides you with a furniture repair expert when you need them to come out to your home to find a solution to the damage. The cost is 4% of your total purchase. They also carry Guardsman leather care products, which are specially formulated In Italy to keep your leather furniture looking fresh. These products are all oil free and are the best out there for cleaning, protecting, or to remove unwanted marks such as felt marker.